View Single Post
      04-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

As with the event I did last year with the Mini, the 1 series event was very well done. Very well organized and the instructors from the BMW Driving School are fantastic.
After quick introductions, the groups are split into three and assigned to different stations.
My group started with a technical walk around of the car similiar to what would be done with the press. I couldn't help but try and ask some questions to try and stump them but they did fairly well.
The next station was on a tight technical course (max 30 KPH) designed to show the advantages of DSC and Active Steering. We would do a lap in a non AS car and then jump in to one equiped with AS to see the difference. As you can imagine the course was very well designed to highlight and promote the advantage of AS but in the end I'm glad I deleted this option. Even though the steering requires a bit more effort at slow speeds without AS, the steering on the cars with it just felt way overboosted. YMMV.
The third section was a higher speed auto cross course that allowed the 1'er to stretch it's legs as well as a brake box to test the binders. Again we jumped back and forth between two 128 autos, two 135 autos and a 135 manual (guess which one was my favorite :biggrin. The power of the 128 surpised me. Although no way near as fast as the 135, it still gives a good kick in the ass when accelerating. Also, the 6 piston front brakes on the 135 are amazing.
I can confirm that wear items like brake pads, rotors and clutch are included in the scheduled maintenence program for 3 years but only on lease vehicles and only until June 30/08.
Also, when you leave you are asked to complete a short survey but in return you receive a nice parting gift. I don't want to spoil the surprise but let's just say I won't have to worry about whether or not to purchase the run-flat warranty :thumbup:

Appreciate 0