Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
My wife and I were planning a trip to Monaco before my daughter was born. It is still in the works but on hold till she is a bit older and can enjoy it more.

Bah! We will seriously have to have some discussions over drinks one day. I met both Haywood and JP Jr. at the 1984 Rolex 24 At Daytona. My dad was able to get us up into their pit areas so we hung out with all the techs during the race. It was pretty cool, especially as a kid (I was about 9 at the time). I have a photo somewhere of me together with them and some more of me sitting in the cars (IMSA Prototype Porsche's I believe).

My father raced Sprints and Midgets from the early 1950's to early 1970's, based out of Anaheim, CA and then St. Louis, MO. I think he raced for Offenhauser, but can't remember for sure. I know he attempted a run at the Indy 500 a few times in the mid 1950's as well. Said the speeds scared the hell out of him. He told me the story of attempting to qualify when Jerry Hoyt got the pole there in 1954 or 1955 (can't remember which year it was). He was racing against Hoyt in OKC when he crashed and died.

I still have all his old trophies.
I remember this time...I'm a bit older than you. This is when regulations changed from the old Group 3, 4, 5 (the famous silhouette racers), and 6 racers to the Group C prototypes. I hated the transition at first but came to love the Group C cars. I preferred the older designation because they still looked like road cars even though they were purpose-built racers in Group 5. I remember reading in the late 70's that Porsche 935s were hitting 230 on the Mulsanne straight at LeMans and it left the biggest impression on me as a kid. The Group C 's weren't as fast but they could turn on a dime and leave you 6 cents in change. They were UNREAL.

I'm still waiting for them to make a movie about the Whittington Brothers. Their story reads like a James Bond novel.

Good Thread Jack!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00