MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
I'm trolling a bit but from a product line standpoint, the RC-F currently holds the top of the line spot of Toyota performance cars.

Entry level: GT-86 ($28K)
Mid Level: A90 Supra ($50K)
Flagship: Lexus RC-F ($80k)

Toyota execs must've seen this and decided not to make the Supra too powerful so that it did not cannibalize sales of the RC-F.

Hopefully, I am wrong, Toyota has said that they want 3 sports cars and hopefully they realized that the RC-F is a GT sedan for older sugar daddies and not close to a sports car. That would mean that there is still another sports car in the works by Toyota, maybe MR-2? but if that's the case where does it fit price wise? in between the $50k Supra and the $28k GT86?

Who knows at this point but I hope we get a $60k car with 380-400hp and some more neat stuff
That makes perfect sense. I saw a quote in an article today from one of the designers who said that part of the reason they aren't currently offering a manual is because they fear it would cannibalize sales of the 86. I would imagine the manual from the M240i would work just fine in this car. It also explains why they would have opted for only offering the lower powered new B58, presumably the B58B30M1. In the same article he said that 335 HP was the "right amount of power" for that car... which if the Z4 can handle 382 HP there is no reason the Supra couldn't. I wouldn't think they would want to put an engine with just 30 less HP than the Lexus RC-F, in a car weighing like 500 lbs less ... cause I would think that it would wallop it on the track.

But I would imagine that just like the previous generation Supra that the first thing a Supra fan would do is start modding the engine immediately. The B58 has been out long enough now that there are already a good amount of them available. Here's hoping that getting some Supras on the road will speed up that process and, say for instance, Dinan will speed up releasing the flash tune for the B58. (Although I have to admit I'm ignorant if a tune meant for a B58B30M0 would work on a B58B30M1.)

And hey, maybe at some point BMW will drop a S58 engine in a "Z4M" and Toyota could get it put into the Supra as well. By that point the current gen RC-F will be long in the tooth enough to either retire or will need a major upgrade. Maybe in that hypothetical version at least some of the air scoops will be functional.
Appreciate 1
Powaup1253.00