View Single Post
      01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #218
Nextbooost
Rep
Drives: former 435, Supra, TLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Here's my take.

I'm entirely fine with the extensive parts bin sharing, especially if it's more BMW than Toyota.

Labor and parts should be cheaper with the Supra compared to the Z4 for obvious reasons.

Yes, the Supra uses a detuned B58 vs the Z4, but we all know how easy it is to get power out of the turbo BMWs. The B58 in Supra is the same as the MPPK B58 used in the M240. That car puts down ~335whp/370wtq in stock form or around 390hp and 430tq at the flywheel. The Supra weighs about 150lbs less than a M240 8AT. An M240 8AT runs 12.5-12.7@109-111mph stock in the 1/4 mile. With a basic tune, the M240s are running low low 12s. With less weight, the Supra should be a 12.3-12.5@111-113mph car in stock form. That puts it in the acceleration realm of the Mustang GT350. This Supra is monumentally faster in stock form than the previous gen.

The power of the Supra and the power delivery will make for an extremely fun car on the street and track. It's what I love about my M235. It has plenty of power and you can use it without feeling like the car is trying to kill you. The power delivery (stock tune) is linear right up to the fuel cut. The B58 even more so. Thus, it's makes exploring limits exciting and rewarding and something you can do daily if you're a decent driver. The Supra should obviously be an even better handler.

The pricing is spot on for what you get. I'm honestly surprised it's in the low to mid 50s.

Styling wise, I like the overall shape and form. They were going for the Toyota GT2000 look which they did quite nicely. What I don't like is all the tacked on aero work. It's unnecessary. Same goes for tail end. It's too much. They should have made the rear and nose more organic looking. Right now the car is dialed up to 11 and trying a bit too hard. Lots of cars these days have this issue. Dialed down to the 9 would be perfect and timeless for the Supra. All it would take is a better choice of wheel and perhaps a very mild drop.

I'm definitely considering this car assuming it doesn't offend me once I see it in person. White for me and I'd probably yank a few of the aero bits.
Problem is coming form a mkiv owner.

This car has no connection to its heritage whats so ever other then they are both I6s. They absolute have no understanding of what the supra was what it ment to its owners and why, or even Toyota fan base in general and what they wanted and why.

Which is perplexing as hell given the ft1 was the perfect modern interpretation of the Supra. Id much prefer a real Toyora build on the RCF platform and using that 460hp v8 then this abomination.

Sad thing is it might actually be a good car, but its just the wrong name. Call it a FRS 86 Celica whatever and it be ok. But to whore out your legendary halo car to a rival, that's kin to BMW making a M3/4 with Kia.

Hilarious thing is mkiv owners and previous owners are in life positions now that a 60k to 100k proper Supra would be a sure buy. With in the next 5 years ill be Lexus LC or new M4 for me. A 80k Supra(ft1) would have been a must buy.
Appreciate 0