09-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #22
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
Sochi is underwhelming and there are other new F1 GP venues that would be more interesting.

I stated this in another thread regarding Formula E....bringing the Circus to the streets of major metropolitan areas creates interest in F1, reduces carbon footprint issues due to the mass of spectators are within a relatively close proximity, etc.

The day may be coming when Formula E replaces F1 as we know it (another thread I started some months ago)....
Also recently read an article that the new Dutch GP could be cancelled. The organizers apparently still havent received all the permits they need for the track changes. Part of the reason for that is push-back from environmentalists...

I dont necessarily think that more street circuits would be beneficial to F1. Racing on street circuits tends to be less exciting than on proper race tracks (aside from the Azerbaijan GP, but even 2 of the 4 races there were a little "meh"). While street races may create more buzz about the event, its a huge inconvenience for the residents. I'd argue that, overall, more people are inconvenienced by the race and have a negative view on it rather than a positive one. Look at the proposed Miami GP. One of the main reasons that didnt go through was because of the push-back from local residents. But the other issue is ticket prices. Even if people who normally wouldnt travel to a race decided to go, a good portion would probably opt not to based on expensive grandstand seating. General admission is usually cheap but its hard to find good viewing spots on GA tickets at normal race tracks, let alone on street circuits (I've experienced this first hand). Even if there was an increase in people getting GA tickets, they'd probably opt not to go the following year due to the lack of visible action with GA tickets. A small subset might opt for grandstand seats the following year though.

More street circuits might be a good idea if they rotate a new venue every year for a given spot on the calendar. You'd have the exposure to get new fans interested in the sport who would get into watching the sport and attending a proper race at a track.

Formula E works on street courses because they emit hardly any noise and pollution. Practice, qualifying and the race happen on the same day so impact to residents is minimized. The paddock and team garages are basically tents, further limiting the amount of time required for set up and disruptions.

If Formula E eclipses F1 in the future, it definitely wont be the same Formula E that we know today IMO.
Appreciate 0