activereality
Newb to BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe (E92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I plan on running a fuse tap for the constant power, vice running the wires to the battery. I will not be installing a camera yet, I'll grab one at a later date to run those wires as needed.

Finding an open fuse socket that delivers power 24/7/365 will be a PITA. 99% of us just run the power wire back to the battery with a fuse in line right before the battery. It's not all that difficult to pull up the trim around the door, if you have a trim tool(s).

I have the N7. 6 months later the N7 pro came out 🤬.

I think at some point, I'll be in the market for a head unit that has wireless Apple Play & HD Radio.

I like the N7, don't get me wrong. But..........

Hey! These are great ideas! I have fuse taps already and will be trying to pull the constant from the fuse panel (behind glove box- are their others in these rigs? I’ve seen >3-4 in some cars). The exact one... well we shall see about that haha.

I was originally gonna wait on the back up camera, but, at the moment, rethinking that. Looking at one that replaces the factory trunk handle. If I do go this route now (or later for that matter) I’ll run a relay at the trunk to power the camera, just tap into the rear back up lights as the trigger/remote. Question here, I don’t like to run things straight to a battery if it can be avoided. Are there other places in the trunk area to ‘cleanly’ pick up the power for the relay? Thinking a bit further, if the N7 Pro has a back up remote wire, then I can run it from that... I think. So all the above might be mute haha.

Yeah, the wireless CarPlay of some of the ‘other head units out there’ is attractive. However, at 300-500 for those kinds of units (without buying the cheapest chinesium HU) and _then_ get the required ‘extras’ to get the dash to look decent, use vehicle based controls, and then hopefully not have to code half the logic in the ECU to get everything to work right. All of this made me rethink the wireless as a requirement. And odds are there will be a future adapter (that works well over BT- if there isn’t already haha) to cast CarPlay to the HU.

I like the idea of running a USB port to the center console (under arm rest). You mention using a usb 3.0. Does the N7 support this? Or is it just a backwards compatibility thing? I’ll need to check the specs of the N7 and see how many USB ports there are. I was thinking of maybe running the usb extension provided in the kit to the cigarette tray- maybe replacing the lighter port there.

I’ll check into finding something that might fit into the center console. Would rather a module that would replace the factory usb plate than to modify that plate.
Appreciate 0