View Single Post
      03-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
alpinecoupe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Latest Update:

Around 6K, the gauge read at the 3/4 mark.
I opted to take the car in for an oil change at 6600 miles (5.5K after the initial break-in change).
Same story, I picked the car up and it was reading at the half mark.
Again, I assume that the gauge, if linear, reflects a total range of approximately one liter.
I drove the car for 100+ miles and got the same reading.
I added 500 ml.

I drove the car for two days, approximately 55 miles.
When I pulled into my garage I checked the gauge and it was showing the rotating "clock" symbol, indicating that it was recalculating the level.
It then displayed at the top arrow mark, with the OK indication.

Based on this experience I will make the following assumptions:

The service technicians are very nervous about adding too much oil, so they play it conservative and fill it slightly under the maximum capacity.
For some reason (and this is where I am still confused) the sensor does not seem to register small amounts of oil added in a timely fashion.
Referencing my initial post, it took approximately 800 miles before the gauge reflected the 500 ml that I added incrementally.
This time, I added the 500 ml all at once (as noted in the manual) and it registered after approximately 55 miles.

Better, but I still fail to understand why it would not register after the oil was up to full operating temperature, say after 15+ miles of driving.

Bottom line:

I check it each time I drive the car.
There's plenty of oil in there and as long as no flashing red lights come on, I'll live with it.

My intuition tells me that the next iteration of M3 with have this dialed in better. I'm certain that this issue is no secret to BMW.

AC
Appreciate 0