2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Generac-...6998/306235149

I dont even need that transfer switch if it can run manually
That’s basically the newer version of what we had at our last house (Propane) which I sold a year ago. Was 15 or so years old and still ran like a champ.

7.5kW is enough to power some circuits but may not run heat pumps or air conditioners. You need to check inrush current on major motor/compressor appliances (fridge, freezer if separate, a/c, heat pump, washing machine, electric dryer). Sizing to start those can get you to 20kW real fast; leaving them off means less convenience/comfort. Heck a decent microwave sucks 1kW all by itself. We just had our fridge, a few lights and a couple of circuits (master bedroom) on ours. No water heaters and maybe the small geothermal heat pump (I don’t recall).

So if you expect to be home during likely outages, on the one hand you can handle fewer loads on a generator because you’re there to manage it. On the other hand, being there you’ll want everything working. If it is a second home or you travel a lot, you might want more capacity to keep heat in winter or cool/dehumidify in summer, but you won’t need all the circuits. Totally different use cases for the same house!

The transfer-trip switch that comes with it is important. Prevents backfeed which can kill a utility worker out to restore power. Also allows the unit to self start and test without having to sync with grid.
Appreciate 1