03-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #37
bluecrab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jascanfield View Post
I have used both, while the 5d mkiii is an insane camera, the 6d is so great for the price. Low light is noise(less?) up to 12k iso, the 24-105 is more than just a "kit lens" it could stand its own against numerous non "kit lenses", and the feel of the body is very comfortable, being both light and durable at the same time
I haven't used the 6D, but I just sold my 5D Mark II and upgraded to the 5D Mark III. You're right, it's an insane camera. Took me a whole day to figure out the advanced autofocus system, which is simply incredible.

I've seen the specs and sample images of the ISO sensitivity of both the 6D and 5D Mark III, both are virtually identical. I think the Mark III might show a tad more noise simply because it has a higher resolution sensor (23.3 MP vs 20.3 MP). If you go into Photoshop/Lightroom and resample the Mark III's images down to 20.3 MP the images/noise are virtually identical.

In my opinion, the 6D beats the Mark III in two areas. First is price. There is no question that the 6D is more economical. Second is that the 6D's center AF point is more sensitive than the Mark III's center point (-3 EV vs -2 EV), but the other AF points on the 6D are pretty much useless.

And that's the reason that I sold my 5D Mark II. I shoot a lot in portrait mode, and I use the far right AF point (top center in portrait orientation) so that I can properly frame my subjects and focus on their faces. This was a disaster in low light since none of those AF points were cross-type (the models were walking toward me, so I couldn't use the center AF point then recompose). The 6D has a similar AF system to the Mark II.

I've been playing with my Mark III for a few weeks now and all I can saw is that it's simply amazing. I'm getting great focus in low light, the 6 FPS shutter is incredible, I love how I can set a group/zone of AF points, in short, there's nothing not to like about the Mark III except for it's price.

I hear there's rumor of a 5D Mark IV being announced this year. I can't wait to see the specs on that baby!!
Appreciate 0