07-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #107
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudling View Post
Actually, SEMA's own publication says that the process is much faster than this. It lists the following steps:
  1. Dinan submits an EO application, including a test lab of Dinan's choice
  2. CARB sends a test letter specifying a test car and authorizing you and your lab to begin testing
  3. You and your lab test. CARB is uninvolved in the testing. You test until you get "satisfactory" results.
  4. You submit results to CARB. SEMA's guide says that (unless they challenge the results), it should then take "about 30 days" for CARB to issue the EO.
So, again - you're certainly not obligated to tell us anything, but if you'd like us to continue to wait, I think it would be helpful to understand what's really going on.

If CARB is really the source of the delay, then it sounds like:
  • You've submitted the EO app (in Jan), but CARB has taken 6+ months to respond with a test letter; or
  • You've completed your testing, and CARB has challenged your results, electing to do their own testing, which can take an unspecified amount of time.

So, is one of these the case? I guess the other possibilities are:
  • You're still doing testing, and not getting compliant results; or
  • SEMA's understanding of the process is incorrect; or
  • ...???

Thanks..
What I originally stated still holds true. I am telling you the information that I have. If you choose not to believe it or think I am lying for some unknown benefit then so be it.

A couple things to note about the simplified process you mention.

1. You can submit directly through CARB and have them coordinate the testing directly as well. This is the "legacy" way of doing things and how we traditionally have done testing for the last 30+ years (1988 was our first CARB EO). Alternatively you can work with an authorized testing agent like SEMA Garage. In the past these independent stations were just as slow as CARB directly and usually did spotty tests which when submitted to CARB would be denied because they needed more info or what have you. It was simply easier to go directly through CARB and deal with the source and make sure everything was done how they wanted it. SEMA Garage is a more recognized source for doing the tests independently so we have been going that route as of recent hoping to eliminate some of the time involved. After VWGate all submissions seemed to drag on much longer as CARB was simply over worked and under the microscope. SEMA Garage offered a respected outlet that could potentially cut some of the red tape. The idea is that CARB would trust the results of a SEMA Garage more openly as they would be more thorough like their own tests leading to quicker turns. Yet to be seen if that's the case but that was the idea at least.

2. Generally speaking the timetable referenced above is relatively accurate however you will note that no time table is referenced for when the EO is submitted to the time you get a test letter. Traditionally, this was the longest waiting time and could take months to even get that initial test letter.

As far as this particular EO submission...

1. Initial application went to SEMA Garage in January (CARB notified as well).
2. How long it took to start testing and how long that testing took I could not say as I am not directly involved in that process. Every instance is different but its not uncommon to run tests and then the testing agent (or CARB if dealing directly with them) asks some questions and more tests are run to clarify results, etc. This can take some time but assuming it goes smoothly the actual testing is usually done in a week or 2.
3. Testing results from SEMA Garage were submitted to CARB in late June/early July (the internal person that deals with CARB is gone today so I am going off of memory a bit). That is where we sit. Waiting on CARB...

How long it will take them to process the paperwork I couldn't say. I find the 30 day window quoted above very suspect based off of experience but maybe they do hit that on occasion. I liken the "about 30 days" to the "in 2 weeks" response from vendors in the automotive aftermarket personally. However, I have become very pessimistic being in this industry for so many years as well. =)
Appreciate 0