10-07-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC M550 VADER View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster (on this forum)! Recently jumped from a 2013 M5 to a 2018 M550i and could. not. be. happier!

The interior and tech in the G30 are light years ahead of the previous platform, and the power plant is really better suited for AWD.

Mine is a 2018 with all available options except night vision and rear entertainment. Just a few pics for now, but I'll be active as I mod.

By the way, do anyone else's front arm rests (drivers and passengers doors) squeak and creak like crazy? I'm taking it in to dealer, but not sure if it's an epidemic. Cheers!

Photo uploads not working, as usual, will try again later.

I'll admit to sometimes feeling a tiny twinge of regret about not shopping an F90 M5 more seriously before building my M550i. But then I got a chance to drive an F90 M5C as part of the M Town Tour. For me, I made the absolutely right choice. The M5 is a beast. But it's noisy. It's harder to see out of. And the seats are not as comfortable for somebody who is 6'5". Plus it felt like it was a caged animal fighting to break free. Best way I can describe my feelings on the M5 vs. M550 debate: I feel like the M550 does a reasonable impersonation of a "true" sports sedan such as the M5. But the M5 does a bad impersonation of a luxury sedan, something the M550 excels at. I did like the feel of the carbon ceramic brakes, though.

Squeaky door panel -- glad I'm not the only one with this. I just learned to ignore it as the only time I really hear it is when I'm cornering hard. And then my mind is occupied with other things. If your dealer fixes the issue please let the board know.

I spec'd the B&W system. It is really nice. Expensive. But nice.
Appreciate 3