Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
"Did I mention I don't have any state income taxes?"

THIS! When I read the OP - I was like - yeah but it's in IL! A doomed state that 50K tax payers are fleeing each year! My GF lives in IL. She pays OVER DOUBLE the yearly property tax on her 2000 SF 3 bedroom house on a 1/4 acre lot than I do on my 160 acre farm in MO! Taxes are insane there. Gas is usually .30-.40 higher per gallon there, I make sure I fill up before I cross into IL.

She is also 27 years into teaching, so her pension relies on IL surviving - but I don't think it will make it unless the Fed bails them out sometime in the future.

When her last is out of high school - she is out of there. It is too bad, the town she lives in is a very cool little town. I would love to wind up in a town just like it.......only in another state. LOL
I agree about the cool towns but bad locations, lol.

I love some of the towns in CT on the coast. Same goes for some NC mountain towns. But I refuse to live in those states - it just doesn't make sense financially. I've been buying up property for rental income and after a long hard search, ended up purchasing foreign holdings instead of places here in the USA - for the simple fact that I couldn't find anything that gave a good ROI due to excessive taxation and regulations here in this country.

Oh well, it is what it is.

FWIW - my tax bill on my home in the city was about $800 or so last year. It's a new construction (well, it was in 2015 when I built it) 1600sf home in a planned community. Assessed value was around $225k.