01-31-2020, 09:28 AM   #17
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

I'm surprised the US market views the Goodyear Eagle F1 so badly. It is a tyre of choice for many performance vehicles over here in the UK. Rated as one of the best run-flat tires as well.
Rated as one of the best compared to what? Yes it's better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT which is another winner (POS) made by Goodyear.

I had 2 Eagle F1 Assy3 sidewalls fail for no known reason on my 2017 G30, both within the first 5K miles. I decided to take them off and put on Pirelli PZero RFT. The Pirelli have been stellar by comparison. Still on the car 2 years later and no problems.

Luckily my 2019 came with Michelin PS 3ZP and those are even better. Quieter, better ride, etc.

My dealer steers customers away from the Eagle F1 Assy 3 when people need tires. They tell me they've had lots of complaints about that tire. Mostly sidewall related failures.

I've heard OEMs vendor approve a few tires for most models (except specialty models such as the M cars) to keep the flow of tires to the factory so production isn't held up. My guess is Goodyear gives best pricing and delivery so they're used by OEMs.