09-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The OP never told us what he was planning to shoot with his new DSLR, so I'd suggest starting with a used, consumer level Nikon or Canon, with a couple of decent lenses. Next, start shooting and see where you gravitate and then plan your next purchase based on what that dictates.

The D810 is a killer camera for portraits, landscapes, slow action shots and travel. You can get some stunning shots, but you'll need to use it with the very best lenses. For action, like professional sports, wildlife and birds, it's slow reacting and the big files fill its buffer quickly. Here, the DX models or even the 7100 might be better choice, OR Canon, which has many models that excel in this regard.

The OP may have prior experience that negates the need for an interim step. I went straight to full-frame DSLR, but I'd shot MF film and 35mm film for years prior and then came quickly to digital after several years out of photography. If you moving from a phone-camera to DSLR, then I say it'd be wise to take an interim step, if only for two or three months.