01-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #22
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Seems that neither Merc or Ferrari were busting a gut to hire Verstappen. All that public whining about the Renault engine was quite damaging to his appeal.
You only have to look at how Alonso ended up to see that being a fast driver is not the whole package....(Honda now won't let Alonso race in a car with their engine after all the criticism of the Honda engine he made while at McLaren).
Verstappen needs to learn to keep his whining to himself...if he ever wants to move to teams like Ferrari and Mercedes where PR is paramount.
While I agree that his criticisms and general propensity to act before he speaks hurt him, I think that in time they can, and most likely will be, overlooked once he matures a bit more. Alonso is a good example of this. He essentially blackmailed (unsuccessfully) McLaren back in 2008 and ended up returning to the team later on. Not sure if that would have been allowed to happen had Ron Dennis still been at the team though.

On the topic of Alonso, it seems he may have finally made amends with Honda. I read this morning that he is close to signing a deal with Andretti to race at Indy (Andretti run Honda power). The article made it seem that Andretti is the one who is close to convincing Honda to let Alonso race their engine though.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59622.50