United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
"State taxpayers paid $959 million to build"
Yeah, exactly! Tesla is a great negotiator - as good or better than BMW, Benz, et al with their tax payer funded plants in US south (e.g, Spartanburg)!

And then Tesla's negotiation skill at getting FCA to fund their Berlin plant!? and the Chinese to fund their Shanghai plant? GENIUS! Yeah, Tesla is a great negotiator: both identifying leverage AND using it.

More interesting, though, is that Tesla's success is threatening their largest partnership: Panasonic
Panasonic struck a deal in 2016 to jointly produce solar cells at Tesla’s “Gigafactory 2” plant in Buffalo, New York. Panasonic committed to share the cost of equipment needed for the plant. The joint venture deepened the relationship between the two companies, which already had established a partnership to produce battery cells at Tesla’s factory near Reno, Nevada.

As Panasonic exits New York, it still works with Tesla under a separate joint venture to produce battery cells at a massive factory near Reno, Nevada. Panasonic said in a statement that the decision “will have no impact on Panasonic and Tesla’s strong partnership in Nevada.” The two companies will continue their electric vehicle battery work taking place at Tesla’s Gigafactory, according to Panasonic.

In recent years, reports have suggested the relationship between Panasonic and Tesla has become strained. Tesla’s acquisition in February 2019 of Maxwell Technologies fueled speculation that the automaker wanted to develop its own battery cells.
I gotta say, Tesla-Panasonic reminds me of Target-Amazon: that did not end well once Target realized Amazon was turning into their largest strategic competitor ...

But, yeah, Tesla has shown they're as good as anyone in the World at making deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 02-26-2020 at 12:04 PM..