steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted2014 View Post
Hi, thanks for your suggestions, on my lease paper, i had rv number, so as i knew BFS will only get me RV number to payoff and no way to talk but i still want to try with dealer see if they will lower rv price to payoff. yes you are right fix car is very expensive. thanks for your suggestion. btw i am in STATES lol. thanks
Now that you mention you are in the States, it is easier to answer.

ANY Dealer will do nothing for you to reduce the price from RV on your lease contract. It used to happen in the old days until about 1-2 years ago.

If you buy your car it will be at residual value. If Dealer sells you at a lower price they get fined. They can sell your car to some other buyer after CPO etc. for a much lower price than on your lease contract Residual Value (RV) number. It is stupid, but this is how it is.

BMW is stopping people from buying their lease out, even people with same last name or same household may get into trouble unless there is sufficient proof of no relation to original owner of the car. Dealerships have become very careful as some of them got fined by BMWFS for breaking this rule.

My advice:

Either lease another 2019/2020 since incentives are good
Search for a CPO and pay a decent (fair market) price for a car with some warranty on it.

If you don't care so much about paying ~$10K more for your own car because of sentimental value, then your decision should be clear. When I do the math, it turns out buying my own lease would make my price even higher than MSRP I would have paid upfront for the new car, so financially it makes no sense.

FINAL Advice: Call BMWFS, ask them if they can provide you without buyout price, it 'may' be lower, worth a shot! See similar post in 4 series forum where someone with low miles got quote of $4000 below the RV (granted this is outgoing old design 4 series)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted2014 View Post
Hi, thanks for your suggestions, on my lease paper, i had rv number, so as i knew BFS will only get me RV number to payoff and no way to talk but i still want to try with dealer see if they will lower rv price to payoff. yes you are right fix car is very expensive. thanks for your suggestion. btw i am in STATES lol. thanks
Now that you mention you are in the States, it is easier to answer.

ANY Dealer will do nothing for you to reduce the price from RV on your lease contract. It used to happen in the old days until about 1-2 years ago.

If you buy your car it will be at residual value. If Dealer sells you at a lower price they get fined. They can sell your car to some other buyer after CPO etc. for a much lower price than on your lease contract Residual Value (RV) number. It is stupid, but this is how it is.

BMW is stopping people from buying their lease out, even people with same last name or same household may get into trouble unless there is sufficient proof of no relation to original owner of the car. Dealerships have become very careful as some of them got fined by BMWFS for breaking this rule.

My advice:

Either lease another 2019/2020 since incentives are good
Search for a CPO and pay a decent (fair market) price for a car with some warranty on it.

If you don't care so much about paying ~$10K more for your own car because of sentimental value, then your decision should be clear. When I do the math, it turns out buying my own lease would make my price even higher than MSRP I would have paid upfront for the new car, so financially it makes no sense.

FINAL Advice: Call BMWFS, ask them if they can provide you without buyout price, it 'may' be lower, worth a shot! See similar post in 4 series forum where someone with low miles got quote of $4000 below the RV (granted this is outgoing old design 4 series)

You never buy a leased vehicle. Add up your 3 years of lease payments plus buyout, your probably close to $2 to 3k over sticker cost. With all incentives, buy a new car this time.
Appreciate 0