01-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #30
Cloverdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jb4 & perf. mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
This is the funny part.

People assume that bigger engine = worse fuel economy.

In reality, it comes down to driving style. Under heavy load, bigger naturally aspirated motors actually have the same or BETTER fuel economy than smaller, turbocharged motors.

So why are smaller turbocharged motors rated higher on EPA fuel economy numbers? Because those numbers assume everyone drives like a grandma. Yes, if you drive like a grandma, then smaller turbocharged motors will have better fuel economy numbers than a large V8. But you don't buy a sports coupe to drive like a grandma.

Manufacturers are well aware that their high powered sporty coupes/sedans will be typically driven in a spirited manner. But because of blanket government policies, they're incentivized to hit a target fuel economy figure. In the case of the EPA, out of the series of tests they conduct, the most aggressive test assumes a 0-60mph time equivalent of 7 seconds. Now with cars in this class easy in the 3-4 second mark, 0-60 in 7 isn't exactly "spirited".
As their only driver my 07 335's approaching 500hp are far more fuel efficient even with a 30% E85 mix than my 550hp 10 Challenger. Having said that the combined mpg rating for a 235 is as Kenny described, but significantly higher than Kenny describes for the Lexus according to reviews (which better fit's with my experience).
Appreciate 0