View Single Post
      05-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
abu el banat
Rep
Drives: A6

Glad this thread has received some replies.

So - my update. Having stewed about this debacle for a few days last week I ended up writing to the one contact I had who had BMW in their email signature - still a fleet employee but BMW buyer I believe. I got tore in, asked for further details, pictures, a better explanation than the one they'd provided and essentially questioned the validity of what I'd been told.

I got no reply, however I got a phone call from someone at BMW Corporate last Friday who had been passed my email. He stated that the 'sandstorm' wasn't a helpful description, and agreed that more info should have been forthcoming. The sand was apparently blown through the cars from construction activity at the port (thanks for the link above, great seeing some actual pictures as evidence). He indicated that some cars were able to be deemed fit, others repaired, and mine would be going back to the factory and potentially used as parts - essentially it was deemed unsellable in it's current state.

I queried how I had got to the point of being offered a delivery date of 2 weeks hence, and was led to believe that my car was at the dealership in Chelmsford. The 'storm' seems to have predated the offer of delivery. He couldn't answer why this happened - he said that BMW were in discussion with their transport partners as to the whole issue of liability. I had already been offered a hire vehicle - which I said I wanted - he suggested to me that most people would simply extend their lease on their company car (which would obviously suit him) however I indicated that I had no intention of continuing to pay tax on a 5yr old A6 so would gratefully receive their offer of a hire car, which apparently arrives next week.

I was originally told of an August date for my re-order - during this phonecall I was told that due to the circumstances I had been bumped up the queue and that my order now had a chassis number meaning my car would be built in the next 7-10 days and would hopefully ship late May/early June. Frustratingly I also have got no access to the system to track it's progress as I'm presumably not deemed a paying customer....

I can accept that things happen in transit - very disappointed however in the communication - by both BMW and Inchcape.

I hope the others affected get a resolution to their satisfaction. If I was buying outright I'd certainly be looking for some form of acknowledgement and offer of compensation....... i'm not one to go looking for freebies, but if I was paying £45k+ for my car to be treated rather poorly the least I would expect is for them to be proactive and address it.

Will update as it develops.... would be keen to hear how the others get on....
Appreciate 0