07-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #81
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Thanks for the advice I don't drive the car particularly "hard" compared to people that does track days but I definitely do drive it like it is meant to be driven as a M car once I get up to ~100C oil temp. I guess that makes a lot of sense for me to run 0W-30 and maybe 5W-30 as a maybe more robust option.

I'm not sure about the states but in Canada the Pennzoil Euro 5W30 is called "Pennzoil Platinum Euro L" and when I look at the bottle it only specifies it meets/exceed BMW LL-04. Is that the same stuff you were referring to? or is there a Platinum Euro that is BMW LL-01 instead? Thanks
Yes, I just verified and you are correct. Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W-30 is LL-04 only and not LL-01 so I would scratch that one off your list. In your case, If you wanted stop using the 0W-30, I would find BMW LL-01 5W-30 that is still around and buy an extra case or two of it or switch to Pennzoil Euro platinum 5W-40 LL-01. According to BMW, LL-04 is formulated for diesel engines for particulate filters and can be used in Europe in place of LL-01. However, Europe has higher fuel standards than the US (and possibly Canada too) and they do not recommend using LL-04 outside of Europe since our fuel is suspected to have higher levels of sulfur than their fuel.

https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/BMW-...s-and-Recs.pdf
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 07-26-2020 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0