LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnaukkar View Post
No. When your car is at 100% there's absolutely no difference in how it got there.

However, you should always precondition the car, because then you waste less energy on heating/cooling after you plug it off. And doing so, if your charger can't push in as much energy as the car uses on heating/cooling, the battery won't be at 100% by the time you are driving off. So more charging power you got the better.

Ideally, you want the car cabin preconditioned and battery at 100% when you leave.
This is absolutely key. I am noticing in the winter temps here in the NE (in the 30s average right now) and parked on the street. If I don't precondition the car I lose about 30% of battery capacity compared to preconditioning first the driving off.

I haven't tested, but Tesla forums note you start to suffer once outside temps drop below the mid-50s.

If you have Level 2 I would make preconditioning a habit as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good information, the sort of preparation/use which really gets the best from electric charging. Important for those considering a hybrid, or using one to take on board.

BTW, what sort of time/consumption does the preconditioning phase take in winter time?
I try to give it 20 minutes. Not sure if it needs that much time, but that's worked for me so far.
Appreciate 0