12-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #72
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Good to see you using the car in the best environment, maximum use of the EV potential. Ideal use and what they are really for.

What concerns me is the part highlighted, not just for you but any of us considering a PHEV. How do you use the ICE, before giving it a hard acceleration? Is it from cold? Do you just floor it when necessary?

For me, considering my potential use, it goes completely against the engineer in me to work a cold engine. We have enough trouble with waiting for an engine to warm anyway, before we drive hard. To think of driving on battery only and wanting that full on acceleration, to do so, I'd be cringing if the ICE hadn't been running and some heat in it ahead of a hard acceleration.

The other issue, if you run out of battery just before you get home... Running the engine for lots of short (cold start) periods, just doesn't sit well with me. Seems the worst case use of an ICE.

What's the consensus guys? Forget all the perceived wisdom of the past and just go for it? Longevity? Mechanical sympathy?
I am not an engineer and I have wondered about the same question. One counter balance is that we (phev owners) don't have stop/start on the engine.

Presumably, BMW figured this into their design and, maybe, that may be why they detune the engine for the phevs. I have essentially OEM warranty coverage for seven years (4 years BMW, 3 additional years through GEICO with a $250/incident copay). My current plan is to keep the car for those seven years.
Appreciate 1