View Single Post
      12-19-2019, 05:52 AM   #74
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Either way, BMW designed the PHEV in such a manner that the engine can be started smoothly at 70MPH from a "cold" perspective without suffering any damage. I don't think we have anything to worry about here.
This is where my concerns are. I appreciate we would expect BMW to have make modifications to cope with these scenarios, but would be great if we could see some technical data and explanations of what has been done, to accommodate the extremes.

There are clues to internal changes, odd comments in articles, such as different coatings for crank bearings, etc. Perhaps the cooling system does use waste heat to pre-warm the engine oil. I'd love to see some technical documents listing and/or discussing the actual modified components and features.

BMW don't have the finest record for coping with the more extreme use of engines. Take the swirl flap debacle in M47/57 diesel's, spindle failures and flap ingestion, wrecking engines. Cause of failures pretty much established due to use/conditions which BMW didn't appear to allow for.
Appreciate 0