View Single Post
      09-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Takahiro Ueno to drift 2JZ-GTE swapped BMW 335i in D1GP

well since there isn't a professional motorsports forum here, this seems like the best forum to post this in b/c it is in a sense BMW news. i don't know what the source of the info is, but i found this over at Supraforums.com...

REDEFINING ELEGANCE: SAYING GOODBYE TO AN ICON
The end of an era for a legendary drift machine?

SAN DIEGO, CA. For over a decade, drifting fans worldwide have awed and groveled over a particular Drift Machine on the D1 circuit. The machine with red paint and gold wheels that graced racetracks all over the world will soon retire from the sport of drifting. Takahiro Ueno’s Vertex Soarer, will burn its last set of tires following the final round of the D1GP Japan October 2008. According to Pete Ulatan (Marketing Executive, Vertex USA), “It’s with great sadness to see an invaluable icon in the sport of drifting say goodbye. It will be indeed the end of an era and a beginning of a new one.”

Vertex USA (www.vertex-usa.com) is proud to announce with the exit of the Vertex Soarer, Takahiro Ueno will continue drifting in a new platform set to turn the drifting world on its head. Dat Nguyen (Vertex USA President) states, “Takahiro will return to the circuit with a platform you will least expect. It will be a BMW 335i Coupe with a Toyota 2JZ-GTE Implant” Currently, Suivax/T&E Japan is diligently preparing Mr. Ueno’s new 335i for the 2009 season.

“We can’t wait for the debut. It will expose T&E and the Vertex brand to a whole new demographic and bring freshness to the sport of drifting”, stated Ulatan.

this is of course the car they'll be retiring/replacing:

now i could care less about drifting, even the professional stuff. and i'm sure the bulk of the BMW community could care less as well. but it should be interesting to see if the 335i platform can deliver next season in the world's premier drift series, the D1GP. and moreover, we'll soon get the world's first 2JZ-swapped 335i. let the controversy begin ...

/flame suit on...