United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
holy shitz...this is gonna get crazy

but I wonder why they don't just swap some bigger turbos for the N54 and upgrade the internals
Because the 2JZ has been around so long, that people can transplant them and tune them to 1000hp in their sleep.

The N54 on the other hand is still pretty new, with a lot of learning curve ahead for it.
i agree that it would be cooler to see it make some big power and compete with its own powerplant. but J03 hit the nail right on the head - the 2JZ is an affordable solution that's been proven reliable at multiple power levels time and time again. low maintenance and low costs are things that greatly appeal to a professional race/drift team. besides, being a pioneer on the frontier of "N54 land" is best left to those who are less constrained by time and money...and Ueno's team's primary goal is to win the D1GP championship, not further develop the N54.

if the N54 were further along in its aftermarket development, and had already been proven reliable at the power levels we sometimes see in D1, then i'm sure the N54 might have been a consideration for Ueno and his team. i know its early in the game yet, as the N54 has only been around for a few years now, but patience is the key - we will without a doubt see great things from the N54 in due time...