View Single Post
      04-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #1162
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansE90335xi View Post
The plus side is that you have the land. Something to consider though happened to me years ago. I bought a large lot, about 4.5 acres, and sat on it for a few years before building. The problem I ran into was nobody wanted to give me a mortgage because I owned the land outright. They didn't want to be holding a mortgage without claim to the land the house was sitting on. You might want to check into that with your lender of choice just so you know where you stand.
Interesting. I wonder if that's a Canadian thing? The lender we are working with for the construction loan actually prefers that we paid cash for the land as that will take the place of 20% cash down for the construction loan. They put a lien on the property during construction, I guess, to cover themselves in case we default before the house is built. Once construction is complete the loan automatically converts to a 30 year fixed mortgage. We lock in the mortgage rate at the time the construction starts which is awesome as it takes away the worry about interest rates spiking during the 6 to 8 months of construction.
Appreciate 1
Buug95917901.00