View Single Post
      09-28-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
STK, Great questions, and I hope I can give you some insight.

BC (Body Coat) -08 is a Neo-Silica Matrix coating. It has a high Silica Content, and is meant to be, as you stated, Modesta's entry level option...However, don't get feel that would equate to inferior. This is a really great coating option for those individuals who want the benefits of a Modesta coating, but don't want to jump into the higher end options that Modesta offers. This coating is designed to wear over time and as you stated above is rated at 2-3+ years depending on the care and maintenance (As all coatings are). This coating gives you tremendous water behavior, makes cleaning much easier and enhances a properly polished and prepped vehicle.

It is still a Professional Installation only as all Modesta Coatings are.

Now, to your question on removal of the coating. That is a broad question, based off what coating you had applied to the vehicle. If the coating was applied correctly and evenly, then most would need abrasion to remove them which would be in the form of possibly a compounding step and then a polishing step to refine the finish again.
If however you had a coating applied incorrectly and there were areas of coating build up (high spots), then some of those may need to be lightly sanded just to bring them down to a lower level.

This is why, choose your installer first, product second.

I hope this helps with your questions pertaining to Modesta BC-08. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Bruce
Thanks for the info on the recoat. So we're talking full cost every 2-3 years and maybe more if sanding is needed. But it's done regularly by detailers and not a proble. Great! Sounds like a longer lasting product may be worth it. But let me give you more info. Maybe I'm not the right candidate for a coating. btw- There are a bunch of good shops in the DC/Baltimore/Philly area.

I will be using the car as a DD or 3-4 days driver, track it on occasion (with track tires and pads), and drive about 6-7K a year. I know I'm not going to be a two-bucket guy every weekend. I want to make the car relatively easy to maintain. I'm going to drive it when it rains. I'm not going home and drying it off afterwards. But I don't want the wheels to become so covered with dust that they can't be easily cleaned (so a separate wheel coating) and I want to get back a good shine after a washing, protect the paint from birds, resin, tar, acids, and other environmental damage as best I can. It will be garaged at home and at work.

Maybe a coating is not the best choice. I was considering Modesta BC-08, Cquartz finest and Gyeon from reading these and other treads. If CQF or Gyeon will last longer maybe that's where I should be headed. Honestly, BC-08 is marketed by Modesta as an inferior product so they don't cut into their other products that are 2 or 3 times more expensive per application. Hence my original question.

I'm also troubled a bit by the whole "science" around these coatings. Description after description talks about the coating binding to the paint but detailers are putting the same stuff over the plastic wraps. What am I missing? It binds to paint and plastic? Shampoo and conditioner in one? Hey, I'm just a guy trying to avoid waxing every three or four months or letting the paint and wheels deteriorate. And maybe keeping a paint corrected finish without going OC.

I also have posted this reply on the DD thread so I'm not quite sure what to do. I hope the discussion consolidates in one place...
Appreciate 0