STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_SC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STK View Post
Thanks for the info on the recoat. So we're talking full cost every 2-3 years and maybe more if sanding is needed. But it's done regularly by detailers and not a proble. Great! Sounds like a longer lasting product may be worth it. But let me give you more info. Maybe I'm not the right candidate for a coating. btw- There are a bunch of good shops in the DC/Baltimore/Philly area.

I will be using the car as a DD or 3-4 days driver, track it on occasion (with track tires and pads), and drive about 6-7K a year. I know I'm not going to be a two-bucket guy every weekend. I want to make the car relatively easy to maintain. I'm going to drive it when it rains. I'm not going home and drying it off afterwards. But I don't want the wheels to become so covered with dust that they can't be easily cleaned (so a separate wheel coating) and I want to get back a good shine after a washing, protect the paint from birds, resin, tar, acids, and other environmental damage as best I can. It will be garaged at home and at work.

Maybe a coating is not the best choice. I was considering Modesta BC-08, Cquartz finest and Gyeon from reading these and other treads. If CQF or Gyeon will last longer maybe that's where I should be headed. Honestly, BC-08 is marketed by Modesta as an inferior product so they don't cut into their other products that are 2 or 3 times more expensive per application. Hence my original question.

I'm also troubled a bit by the whole "science" around these coatings. Description after description talks about the coating binding to the paint but detailers are putting the same stuff over the plastic wraps. What am I missing? It binds to paint and plastic? Shampoo and conditioner in one? Hey, I'm just a guy trying to avoid waxing every three or four months or letting the paint and wheels deteriorate. And maybe keeping a paint corrected finish without going OC.

I also have posted this reply on the DD thread so I'm not quite sure what to do. I hope the discussion consolidates in one place...

STK, All great follow up questions, let's see if we can clarify some of these for you.

The application of BC-08 was not to be an inferior product, it was produced to compete with those other coatings you mentioned without the need for the superficial toppers that those other brands recommend. The only thing Modesta prefers you do it to use the maintenance products which keep the coating cleaned and looking great. So in that aspect it would be on par or better than some other companies high line.
Modesta does have the levels above that if you consideration would be to go with a coating that is rated from 3-10 years, depending on proper maintenance. Coating life is totally dependent on how well it is cared for.

With this being a daily driver and a track car at times and with how you have described your care process, a coating would be a great option for you, but don't expect the vehicle to look brand new after 2-3 years, because it sounds like you will be using it and not babying it. Nothing wrong with that, the expectations need to be understood from the start.

As far as wheels go, it would be a great idea to have those coated with a high temp resistant coating.

Now to the PPF and paint question. I don't have the scientific explanation for it, but I will get it and report back to you. I have an idea, but I don't want to actually state something that is misleading.

You will definitely not have to wax during this period, especially if you do the maintenance. That is the key, and since you do not want to wax, even better.

Bruce
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. My expectations are not off the charts. There are a lot of people of this forum that are fanatics about their car's appearance. Mine will not be a garage queen. At the same time, having a coating that protects the paint and wheels and lasts - making cleaning relatively easy - would be great if they work.

I guess the longest lasting product for the price using a top flight retailer seems like where I'm headed. Folks on this this and other forums have been talking up the cfinest a lot for durability. I really haven't seen many BC-08 reviews by customers on the web. I've also noticed detail shops switching products and to an outsider it's a bit confusing. Is it primarily a business decision? They don't seem to switch to a less expensive brand. It seems a car just off the boat would, on average, require much less correction. How come I feel I'm in the market for a mattress? Thx again. You've been very straightforward.
Appreciate 0