05-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Burniksapwet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Yes, it really does cost that much. The kit itself includes the flash tune for DME, axle-back silencer/muffler, torque converter and some stickers. You also require the tips (either carbon fiber or chrome) and also the M550i rear diffuser (the stock 540i diffuser does not fit the larger tips). Also, the labor is super expensive because of the torque converter requires dropping the entire transmission to change.

My advice is to go aftermarket tune (e.g. Bootmod3 or MHD) and aftermarket exhaust (e.g. Remus, Dinan, Armytrix, etc.). I personally went with BM3 and Remus and couldn't be happier!

IMHO, only advantage of MPPSK kit is to keep the warranty intact. However, you are paying easily 2-3x that if you went with aftermarket (e.g. I paid $500 for BM3 tune and $1500 for Remus exhaust and tipsj with install). Whether or not that delta is worth it to you is up to you to decide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Yes, it really does cost that much. The kit itself includes the flash tune for DME, axle-back silencer/muffler, torque converter and some stickers. You also require the tips (either carbon fiber or chrome) and also the M550i rear diffuser (the stock 540i diffuser does not fit the larger tips). Also, the labor is super expensive because of the torque converter requires dropping the entire transmission to change.

My advice is to go aftermarket tune (e.g. Bootmod3 or MHD) and aftermarket exhaust (e.g. Remus, Dinan, Armytrix, etc.). I personally went with BM3 and Remus and couldn't be happier!

IMHO, only advantage of MPPSK kit is to keep the warranty intact. However, you are paying easily 2-3x that if you went with aftermarket (e.g. I paid $500 for BM3 tune and $1500 for Remus exhaust and tipsj with install). Whether or not that delta is worth it to you is up to you to decide!
Do you guys have any idea why BMW decided that the torque converter needs to be replaced? My mechanic it baffled by this decision by BMW. Also why do aftermarket upgrades not need the same upgrade?
Appreciate 0