View Single Post
      03-22-2022, 06:44 PM   #86
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPMKING View Post
The dealer knows if you have a flash tune regardless if you flash back to stock. In fact now when you even just go in for routine service and your car is hooked up, car will be flagged for potential dme changes if you have a tune. They didn't do that in the past.

Piggyback is a little bit different since it doesn't overwrite the dme and supposedly doesn't leave a trace. Most users that I've read that get caught with a piggyback were the ones who left it hooked up.

Can they determine that you had a piggyback? If they want to. Modern cars are mini computers that log everything (more boost than stock, increase timing etc). But would they go to that length? Probably depends on what the repair is. Injectors, sensors, fuel pump? Probably be fixed no issues. Engine replacement? You better believe it's going to bmw regional where they'll pull logs and analyze the data.
Sounds like you've done extensive research on this. And thank you for clearing things up. I'd imagine an instant flashed/warranty violation vs something they "maybe" can find at a Dealership is encouraging to me. At least in my car. I'm considering putting a JB4 on, and I know the 2020's and up have extensive engine upgrades to encourage more power, but I still dont want to pay the $30k bill for a new engine.........if that should ever happen.
Appreciate 1
NGT25689.50