02-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #39
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Gotcha - makes sense. I haven't spent much time with ID7 in person so only have online pictures to go off of. I don't really want ID7 actually, was more just curious about the compatibility.

I agree that BMW (or any business with a brain) will look for ways to monetize new tech anytime they can.
You got it! Manufacturers live off repeat business. Remember when people bought cars and kept them 10 years? That was terrible for business. Hence these constant new 'must have' latest features.

With regards to the ID7 hardware, albeit BMW have kept a consistent look, they are using new equipment. No doubt someone will come along with a retrofit kit like they have done for every previous version of iDrive, but only a handful of people will take it up because of the cost and work involved for what never feels like 'a total revolution'.

For now, ID6 works and works well. I'll look forward to ID7 in the LCI G30 when (hopefully) they have fixed all the bugs. Still not sure on the backwards rev counter though...
Appreciate 0