Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
So many say Toyota should have used a lightened Lexus chassis with either the 2UR V8 or V35a TT V6 and 'still could have easily made money.' The RC-F Track Edition is exactly what they are describing so why aren't people flocking to buy it?
Well when Toyota makes a car like this in house, it comes out just shy of $100k and doesn't have the numbers to justify the price. Of course performance isn't everything for the RC-F but it really goes to show roughly how expensive the car that 'could have been so cheap' would have been to produce.

RC-F numbers (estimated) vs Supra numbers courtesy of Car and Driver
I don't know about others, but I wasn't talking about a lightened chassis. I was talking about a smaller one. Just cut down the RC-F chassis (like BMW did with the E82 vs E92,) use the TT V6, make it less luxurious, and sell it for $10K-$15K less than the $65 RC-F. Then it would be a real Supra.
How is a shortened RC chassis a smaller platform? And just like the E82, it would weigh nearly the same as the donor chassis. Which is to say more than 400 pounds heavier than where the Mk5 ended up.
Appreciate 4
clee1982797.50
supra932480.00