View Single Post
      08-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #1074
super51fan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
You're right, I don't know what the cost is, but I run a company, and my dad was a bean counter for GM, so I also might have an idea of what not to do.

This car has become very polarizing. By essentially re-skinning a BMW in order to save money, rather than creating a true Supra successor, Toyota may have turned off enough potential Supra buyers that the car won't be successful, anyways. I guess we'll see.

I'm 42 years old, I loved the RX-7/Supra/NSX as a teen, my last several cars have been 2 seat or 2+2 sports cars, and the Supra is within my price range, yet I'm still not interested at all.

Toyota apparently polled potential buyers and found out that the inline-6 was important in designing a new Supra, which it certainly is, but how many of us thought that would mean it would be a 2-seat BMW without a manual option?? I know that Toyota has been mentioning a possible manual transmission lately, so maybe that will help, at least.
I am not questioning your marketing sense, I am questioning your knowledge of Toyota production costs. You say it would be $50K-$55k for a car with a shortened lightened less luxury Lexus chassis with a V35a and unique interior and exterior. But that just described the the $95K RC F track edition without even factoring the costs of a unique interior and exterior and cost differential of the V35a over the 2ur. What makes the car $40K cheaper out of no where?

They may have turned people off but they also brought in new perspective buyers. Yeah they definitely should have tried to replicate their 90s sales flop for the sake of bragging rights by celica owners at car meets. If it doesn't sell well, that just means it lives up to its predecessor.

The manual transmission part isn't a big deal today for everyone especially at a time when the corvette and 3 series wont have them either.
Appreciate 1
See5449.00