03-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
JH1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d SE G30 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by saporitj View Post
I've read a lot about people playing .flac files for the best sound but that option doesn't appear to exist for HK system. In fact it doesn't look like HK supports any uncompressed format. I'm guessing that flac is just a BW thing.

A separate note, very disappointed that MKV isn't supported for video. Come on BMW.
I'm assuming you have already loaded files onto your hard drive and are now trying to play/convert them to FLAC files? You cannot do that. If you've copied CD's as MP3, they will always remain and play as MP3 on the hard drive.

Your system will play FLAC files stored on a USB stick, but you will obviously need to purchase or convert your music into FLAC before you try and play it in your car.

You can save FLAC files onto your car's hard drive from a USB stick, although the BMW software actually will recode it into another file type (called B29, I think?) but I think it will maintain broadly the same quality as FLAC.

I would experiment with FLAC and MP3 on a stick and see if you notice any difference. If you want to play uncompressed FLAC, they will be large files that will fill up the hard drive quickly, so it would probably be best to get a large capacity USB stick, then store and play them from that.
Appreciate 0