View Single Post
      01-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
cvn-e2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8, 2017 540i (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCM5 View Post
I don't think it's at the same performance level as the F10 550i which has 100 more horsepower. I think it just has a faster 0 to 60 due to the all-wheel-drive, but once the cars are rolling, like on the highway or something, the F10 550 will probably leave it behind.

I think back when cars had 0 to 60 times of six or seven seconds, that specification could be useful for something about how powerful a car was. But now days I don't think it means very much when the cars are in the 3.5 to 4.5 second range due to traction issues. But if you like accelerating to 60 from a stop all the time then I guess you could have some fun with it. Other than that, I think that the 0-60 spec is pretty useless these days to describe how powerful a car is on the highway or autobahn.

But who knows? My statement is just one man's opinion.
While I can agree with you on your first paragraph, I actually think the other way for your second paragraph. I don't race at all (track or street), so this is just an American layman's opinion.

I care a lot more about 0-60mph times than HP and torque numbers, or top speed numbers. I rarely have the need to rush or beat a car starting from 50mph and going to 80mph, even with all the highway driving I do (no autobahns here ). But I definitely do have the need all the time to ensure I can get from 0-40mph or 35 to 50mph quickly. To me, those times are the most important since I actually use them all the time. If they're fast, and fun in the process, that's perfect.

Also, 0-60mph I think is more representative of all the engineering involved rather than just having brute force. It is not as simple as having a more powerful engine. The drivetrain has to be tuned correctly, the tires have to be designed correctly to adequately find the balance between grip/traction and efficiency, the weight has to be placed perfectly and suspension tuned right to get that proper acceleration, and so on. Just more representative of a car IMO than a simple HP/Torque comparison.
Appreciate 4