cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
What are you guys using to monitor temperature of steaks and roasts when bbq-ing? I over cooked 4 nice NY strips last night and I was really pissed at myself. Would love a good recommendation on a thermometer. I’d say I missed it by 3 minutes and blew the medium / medium rare I was after.

Thanks
Gas grill?
I'm sure the pros here will laugh at me but I use the Weber grill guide. Long ago they had a printed book that really went into detail with the types of meat, weight and/or thickness and desired doneness. It was on the money. They scaled back a bit and don't have specific times for rare, med rare etc. but it still works. I found it online and use it anytime I grill. It will show say a steak 1 inch thick 6 to 8 minutes on direct high heat, so 3 minutes then turn for another 3. 2 inch steak - 14 to 18 minutes - sear 6 to 8 minutes direct high heat and 8 to 10 minutes indirect high (meaning shut center burner(s) and continue to cook with no flame directly below the steaks).

I prefer on the med rare side and would rather put back on than overcook so I will cut time off.