02-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Active front steering is not relevant to the G3x models. Do you have the Variable Sport Steering (VSS) and the rear Integral Active Steering (IAS)? Or is it the standard servotronic steering?

If you are having to give attention to the tracking of the car, does appear something may be wrong. These cars are sensitive to correct geometry, not simply to in spec' calibrations on the readout. Steering wheel position must be central, as the steering angle sensor (SAS) is in the rack and it requires zero position in the straight ahead position, to give the best steering accuracy and feel. By that I don't mean the steering wheel is in the wrong position, in relationship to the rack, but the alignment must give a correct steering wheel position when driving straight. This may mean a tweak on the trackrod ends, (no change in toe calibration), assuming the SAS calibration has not been lost.

Is there a slight difference in steering feel turning right, compared to left. Is the self-centering, different right vs. left turns?
Good information on the need to have the steering wheel centered. I will talk with my guys at the dealership when I return from my trip and will raise this question to whomever did the alignment. As I had noted the steering wheel is still turned a little to the left even after the trip to the dealer. I remember the days when if you had this problem you just popped the steering wheel off and re-positioned on the splines (think old British cars)! No longer. Also good point on left vs. right turns. I have been focusing on right turns. As I noted, the steering wheel is turned a little to the left. If, when driving straight, I try to center it the cars drifts right. I wonder if this produces an extra emphasis on a right turn, making it be less self centering. Will try to pay attention on lefts as well. Lastly, I did not order any special steering so I have whatever came standard with the 540xi M Sport package. Thanks--Bob

Last edited by Warp Ten; 02-15-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0