View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #50
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
I read a long while ago that most bike casualties were caused by hitting their heads on the windshield/roof. If that's true then laying the bike down seems like it was his best bet although nothing smart about not wearing a helmet...
You know, I'm just not convinced by something you read long ago. Stopping before contact is always preferable to sliding full speed into (or under) a moving vehicle (or other object). I learned this in (more than one) motorcycle training course, taught by professional riders and trainers. As it turns out, most bike casualties are caused by lack of awareness, either by the motorcyclist or by another driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Here's my take: If you're riding a motorcycle, even if you're wearing a helmet and know everything about motorcycle safety, you are still VERY succeptable to injury and death regardless. I will never ride one, period. I like having 4 wheels and a steel frame around me going 80mph personally. I dunno why you guys are griping over what to do or not to do during a motorcycle accident. 90% of the time if ur on the cycle, ur fucked anyways, period. There is no "school taught" knowledge on how to not freak the fuck out during a split second action played during driving on a motorcycle.
Actually, there is "school taught" knowledge on this. Northwest Motorcycle School is one course taught by the former trainer for the King County (WA) Sheriffs department motor officers. This highly recommended training is taught 90% on-bike, and includes learning and practicing split-second maneuvers and decisions at speed. Unfortunately, many motorcyclist don't even know the proper way to do emergency stops, and even those who do have to practice often to keep the muscle memory for those situations.
Appreciate 0