View Single Post
      01-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #52
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Meatball View Post
People are complaining about hybrid Ms, but frankly I see it as an opportunity. They've moved to forced induction because of emissions purposes right? Hybrid tech could be an alternative way to meet emissions regulations. Instead of the TTV8 currently found in the M5, we could see a naturally aspirated V8 (or even V10) making 400-500hp, assisted by a couple of electric motors (maybe putting out 200hp) in the front. You get the noise and characteristics of a NA engine, with the instant torque of an electric motor to give it a boost low in the rev range, as well as AWD when you need it and even torque vectoring.

It's going to happen. It needs to happen if these cars are even going to survive future regulations, or compete with future electric performance cars. So why not use it to eliminate one of the main criticisms with modern Ms (turbocharging) and enhance performance?
This^

I would welcome a hybrid option if it did it for performance and not for tree hugging like the hybrid supercars. Ive said for a while BMW should think about an awd M car. That's the future. If doing the front wheels with a pair of electrics for launch andthen to supplement a nice N/A V8+ could be done I'd be first in line. Some things are done for tradition. The 6 series has a soft top convertible for tradition. Don't personally like that one. I prefer a stick for tradition . But not doing awd is going to leave the M cars behind.
Appreciate 0