United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I've just bought my first protein powder:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder with Glutamine and
Amino Acids Protein Shake by ON - Chocolate Peanut Butter, 27 Servings, 891 g

Can anyone suggest how often i should be taking it?
Can it be used as a meal replacement?

Thank you kindly.

Shakes are good, but can be a crutch if you depend on them too much. I workout fasted at about 3:30-4:00am in the morning.

I have about 10 grams of EAA's as an "Intra" that I sip on with water to stay hydrated during my workout...and then I use either Muscle Feast or True Nutrition's form of Hydrolyzed protein within about 15 minutes of training.

After that I am typically eating real food the rest of the day.

As for requirements, everyone is different. When I'm in the off-season bulking, I'm taking in about 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. But my carbs are much higher as it is well documented that carbs can be protein sparing.

When it's time to "cut", the carbs start to slowly come out of my diet and my protein increases to 1.5 grams...sometimes more per lb of body weight.

Also if you plan to use that as a meal replacement, Like JP said... mix some other stuff in with it...especially "Good Fats". It will slow down the glycemic response and give you more of a "Casein Protein" effect in which it releases Amino Acids more slower into your system.

You want protein synthesis to be occurring as often as possible, and any isolate or concentrate is going to be relatively quickly entering the body which starts this process...but will taper off very quickly as well while leaving your insulin levels elevated which is really only something that you want to happen post-workout when you are using it to your advantage to push nutrients into the muscles.

But again...I'm an older guy that has been doing this for many years...a few years as a professional at it. So I may be going a little OCD about things.