View Single Post
      08-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #225
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
Like collectors of analog watches, valve amplifiers and LPs, I'm of the opinion that analog cars designed with driving dynamics in mind, will be supplied by boutique specialty manufacturers in the future. Think Singer-like, hopefully across a broader range of price points, to be accessible to more consumers.

I also think the reason BMW leaves such a bitter-taste for some of us is because the brand used to define the concept of a sport-sedan, a car that could be both practical for a family as well as fun to drive. Believe it or not, BMW was a viable alternative to Porsche. Today, the brand seems to be chasing Prius, while surrendering the entire concept of driving dynamics. The F generation was generally perceived as a step backward in terms of driving dynamics and materials quality.

Ironically, the type of cars Germany used to design and produce are now sourced from Detroit and Korea. Think Cadillac ATS, 'Vette, Camaro, Mustang, GT, and the very respectable Kia Stinger and Genesis. The German car industry reminds me of Detroit in the 60s-70s. Detroit sold cars that were the envy of the world, until they got lazy, and didn't. I see similar behavior in teh German auto industry today.

I'm also of the opinion that a prime driver for these changes are the personalities and bios of the decision makers in management and the BoD. Imagine working at a Detroit Big 3 in the 70s, 80s, 90s. It could not have been for the universal praise, especially as compared with the German and Japanese products. Those people who stayed and made a career, are now Directors, VPs, and CXOs, and I think that they have very big chips on their shoulders as a result of living through 'the bad old days'. They have something to prove, hence cars like the C8 Corvette making it to production, while Germany races to a homogenous and generic destination. And Korean cars? Thank Kia for hiring Albert Biermann, former M-Boss from when Munich built its most iconic designs.

Albert Biermann to become Hyundai head of R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
The question is, who is going to keep making cars for these enthusiasts? I guess it would be Lotus, if we're talking only sports cars, but I'm not sure who it will be for more pragmatic, sporty cars. That kind of car may simply die off.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 1
duder13767.00