01-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Initial thoughts on 540i xDrive, my sixth BMW, and my first that isn’t a 3-series

Initial thoughts on 540i xDrive, my sixth BMW, and my first that isn’t a 3-series,

It’s a 2017 540i xDrive that I got as a CPO with under 19,000 miles. It’s Bluestone Metallic with Ivory White Nappa. It has M-Sport, M-Sport Brakes, Luxury Seating Package, ACC Stop & Go, Harman Kardon, Parking Assistant. Then more common options like wireless charging, HUD, gesture control, etc.

I posted an intro in the photos/build threads, but so far:
  • Removed ///M badges on fenders
  • Installed IND Distribution painted front reflectors
  • Installed BMW gloss black kidney grilles
  • Installed floating BMW wheel center caps
  • Retrofitted the touch screen HVAC control unit with ceramic knobs
  • Removed air bag stickers from fabric sun visors (posted a short DIY on this here: DIY link)

This is my sixth BMW. Going back to 2003, I had the following, all sedans with rear wheel drive, 2000 323i, 2006 330i, 2009 335i, 2012 335i, 2013 328i.

I love this car. Haven’t really driven it much other than at low speeds around the suburbs. But certainly love it.

The BMW nerd in me wrote the long-winded explanation below of how I bought my first non-3.

I figured based on previous experience, I’d love the G20, then I’d lease a G20 330i or M340i. Well, then I drove a G20 330i. The first thing I noticed pulling out of my dealer’s parking lot onto a main road was turbo lag or the transmission had a hitch in the giddy up. I was driving normally; I don’t drive like I’m Vin Diesel living my life a quarter mile at a time. Couldn’t believe it.

During the drive I kept noticing the door panel pocket/water bottle holder brushing against leg. The salesperson told me that I wasn’t the first person to mention that to him after a test drive. The seats didn’t leave enough of an impression for me to call them better or equivalent to the F30 seats. The new Vernasca leather grade didn’t impress me much over my F30. Nothing stuck out to me as an improvement or indicative of a brand-new platform except for the much larger sunroof.

I still remember test driving a 2006 330i in 2005 coming from my 2000 323i, and it felt like it could take a corner twice as fast as my 323i, plus had technology advancements that made it felt like a spaceship. Going from my E90 335i to F30 335i it was faster and noticeably more comfortable. The HUD was a revelation once I properly adjusted

So, then I waited for the M340i cars to hit the dealerships, thinking it’d be overkill, but had to be better than the 330i.

When I went to test drive the M340i, they had a demo X3 M40i that was a pretty decent deal, so I drove that first. The X3 M40i was great, and it was genuinely fun during a measured test drive. Then I drove the M340i. After a mile, I realized I would take the X3 M40i over the M340i any day. Finished the test drive, and still would’ve picked the X3 over the M340i.

So, for the first time since I’ve been driving cars, I didn’t want a 3-series. Then it came down to an X3 M40i or a 5-series, since I didn’t want an SUV. Test drove a 540i xDrive. It was easy. Within a mile I knew it was a great car. It felt absolutely huge compared to a 3-series, but very BMW and very good. The 540i felt like it had the same generational leap in terms of performance and technology that I noticed during the transition between the E46 to E90 and E90 to F30.

Obviously, a 540i is substantially more expensive than a G20 330i, but not so much over a M340i.

I decided to buy instead of lease, and had been checking nationwide until I found this car locally with under 19,000 miles and CPO. I was surprised my local dealer had a car that was so heavy on options.

THE GOOD:
  • The M-Sport brakes are fantastic, especially considering the tires are all seasons. Brakes better than my lighter F30 with staggered summer performance tires.
  • It is sneaky fast.
  • The car feels nimble and eager despite its size.
  • Multi-contour seats are probably my favorite feature.
  • Love the wireless CarPlay.
  • Love the Bluestone Metallic. Looks great and does a great job hiding dirt as well as the road filth and salt that comes with winter roads in my area.
  • Interior fit, finish, and feel is fantastic.

THE BAD:

The Harman Kardon is good, but it sounds better in the F30, which obviously has a much smaller cabin and less glass. Hopefully, adding a pair of aftermarket replacement subwoofers will warm up the sound without having to raise the volume as high.

THE UGLY:

Very surprised how weak the HVAC air flow is from the center vents above the volume control/preset buttons. The best I can tell is that when setting the airflow distribution to the middle, a substantial amount of the HVAC airflow comes from the vents behind the iDrive screen/Control Display. Would like to see if this can be addressed by coding, but I’m pessimistic it can be addressed by that method since I haven’t read any mention of coding airflow distribution for G30.
Attached Images