View Single Post
      02-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #25
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I just traded my 2018 X5 40e for a 530e. While I loved the form factor of the X5 (higher seating position, higher ground clearance, more flexibility for load carrying), I hated the ride. For some reason, BMW (and others) give stiffer springs to their SUV's, despite them never going off-road or carrying heavy loads. My ideal vehicle would be the SUV form factor with a sedan-like ride. For those few needing the load carrying capacity, add an option for stiffer suspension. The 2021 X5 is supposed to have 2-axle air suspension and this might make a difference. I test drove the Audi e-Tron several times and it has 2-axle air suspension that gives it a much more sedan-like ride. In Houston, our intersections frequently have 12" of water during heavy rain and poor drainage, so a higher ground clearance is useful.

I got great deals on my two 2020 530e sedans because sedans are not hot sellers. I "might" pay for that when trade-in time comes in 3-4 yrs. I say "might" because I wonder if sedans will come back into favor. I pretty much discount high gasoline prices for that, as I don't think high prices are coming back any time soon. The fear around Houston is for another Bust due to less than $50 oil prices. What I wonder about is the rise of the Millenial generation. Baby boomers killed the station wagon as a reaction to being ferried around in one as children--"their mom's car". Gen X'ers killed the minivan and sedan with SUV's. The Millenial generation is beginning to buy cars. Will they rebel against their parents SUV's and go back to sedans--especially with the SUV rap as "bad for the planet"? Does history repeat itself and is this the way it will repeat?
Appreciate 0