Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord94 View Post
Hi guys,

so I'm considering buying a 2018 530E M sport, I test drove it and fell in love with it. But one thing I've been looking into is reliability and maintenance costs.

I've done as much searching around as possible before posting here and I can't really get a gauge on either of these things. On one hand I've read tons of threads and forums saying how reliable BMW's are, and on the other I've read about how unreliable they are.

Can anyone with experience of owning a 5 series give me an indication of how reliable they are? Also, with yearly servicing and maintenance, what is the rough cost of maintaining this car? 1k / 2k per year?

I want to keep this car for at least 5 years, but I can't justify spending that much money on something that'll just be a money sink.

any help is much appreciated.
I've been able to own a variety of premium cars and know what to expect maintenance/repair-wise. Budgeting $2,000/year or so, depending on how you drive it, seems reasonable.

The question of BMW, known for its electrical gremlins at times, is difficult to assess its hybrid tech, which so far appears to be problem-free. They may have collaborated with Toyota as have others.
Appreciate 0