10-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #298
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
This is a similar story with the 9mm pistol round. The 5.56/.223 has been a huge benefactor of bullet technology. What used to be a haphazard small caliber bullet that didn't offer much in terms of ballistic repeatability, now has options galore to choose from. With the same rifle, shooting different ammo, you can go from 20" large cavity penetration leaving you with an intact same weight as it started projectile, all the way to almost immediate super expansion and fragmentation which doesn't penetrate more than 6", repeatably.

I doubt there is much of an issue as there once was.
I doubt it's an issue anymore either. Like you said earlier the .223 falls under the unfortunate banner of ".22," a classification which was established to keep people from hunting with .22LR. I've taken many hogs with .223/5.56 without problems, you guys would be amazed how devastating that anemic little 55gr projectile can be, especially if it destabilizes and keyholes.

Cartridge technology has come a long way. Modern 9mm is on par with modern .40. Modern .223 beats the pants off of the stuff that was offered even 10 years ago. Possibly the best example of this is the .380 ACP HPs which hold their own as defensive cartridges today; 15 years ago I would have NEVER carried a .380 ACP. Still don't but it is a viable option nowadays.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00