LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp1276 View Post
Any further updates on RSU after your reinstall? I'm really bummed by this as I to see it with my VIN in BMW Drivers Guide. It feels like if they don't support that option it should be removed. I also don't have the Remote 3D View working either. It was in the BMW Connected App but now totally gone.

My dealer says this on RSU: In regards to the Remote Software Upgrade(henceforth RSU), we have been able to confirm that this is NOT currently available for G30/F90 vehicles in the USA. There are multiple requirements for the vehicle to be compatible with the RSU, and while the G30 received the upgraded headunit this year it still does not meet all the other firmware/hardware requirements for RSU. Keep in mind the G30 originally shipped with an older style headunit/iDrive system, and thus the rest of the body electronics were designed around that platform. G12(current 7 series) was the same way, and it was not compatible with RSU until it underwent it’s LCI(Life Cycle Impulse) update in the 2020MY. The G30 is due for it’s LCI in 2021, but we do not have word yet on whether the car will ship with RSU or not; either way, it is not something that can be retrofitted to the older vehicles due to the above listed constraints.
Yeah it is a bit of a bummer.

BMW has to get better about listing details for stuff like this. I think it will only hurt them in the longterm if they don't as it is pretty clear that software features are becoming increasingly important for the cars. Tesla is the one turning up the heat.... But at BMW price point you expect them to be at the forefront of automotive technology...

BMW could do themselves a major favor by listing iDrive versions and supported features for cars in a clear and regularly updated manner. They could do the same with their ConnectedDrive features as well.

I did expect this feature and it is a bummer to not have it. But I'm not letting it kill me entirely as I'm sure it is a major loss inside the BMW brand. They still need to make a lot of internal adjustments to start delivering meaningful updates over many years of ownership (like Tesla does). And right now updates on supported cars are not earth shattering (see the 3 series forums).

I still wish we would learn why it made it into the manual...
Appreciate 1