03-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #70
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
The M550i is 350 pounds heavier, but better equipped. The difference is less if you look at a similarly equipped 540ix.

There isn't much of a difference in handling between the current 550i and 535i. The 3 and 4 series handle better than the 5 series by a larger margin. Regardless, I find it meaningless. All these cars handle extremely well for any real-world driving, and none of them handle as well as, say, a Porsche Cayman.

How often do you speed around corners so fast that this makes a difference? The answer is pretty much never in my case. Even on mountain roads (where I rarely drive), it doesn't happen. It's just not safe - there could easily be a slower car, a cyclist, an animal, or some other nasty surprise waiting for you beyond the corner. I get more chances to enjoy the power than the handling. Anyway, there are certain thresholds of power and handling beyond which things become irrelevant overkill in real-world driving on public roads. Basically, unless you track the car, who cares...
I disagree but it's great that we have options.

The F10, and probably the G30, are better balanced with the inline-6 engine. The V8 is very nose heavy. Excess weight in the front of the vehicle is less than optimal. It makes a big difference in handling, driving in snow, and avoiding a sudden obstacle which is not outside the realm of daily driving.

That said, I ordered the M550i and it will be my second V8 out of 8 5er. I do prefer the inline-6 for being balanced but it's unfortunate that the 540i doesn't come with similar suspension options found in the M550i.
Appreciate 0