View Single Post
      04-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #20
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
BMW has an entirely different trans they use for the 330i/130i for the different power levels.

Auto 135i diff is unrelated as the auto smooths inputs via the torque converter. Plus the auto owner is a different type of driver.

Halfshafts are not the same part between the 128i and 135i.

I've been considering ways to beef up the internals for DISA/header power levels , let alone that much more torque. And don't post "facts" if you haven't checked them first.
ahh my bad, 128i uses 17bz.. still, the 135i trans is only rated to ~390 ft-lb and they've made about 650 with no worries.

I'm not sure what the 17bz is rated to... normally the 17 would mean '170 newton meters' but the 128i makes more than that stock hah..

and yeah sorry you're right on the driveshafts... but still, they're LK=86MM/D=38MM which is the same as 135i

so... I can almost guarantee the halfshafts won't break unless you get mental wheel hop, and the transmission i'd hope isn't made of glass!

I take it you mean internals of the trans, not the motor?

And auto drivers being different i don't quite understand - most of the fastest 1/3 series BMW's are autos haha.. plus, the 6mt's smooth input to the diff through clutch slip :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Alu and mag(which is softer still).

And yes, the entire project in the N52 e90 section reeks of half-assed.
alusil cylinder liners are actually really tough.. the motor isn't as weak as everyone thinks imo, i'd say it could handle 5-10psi without issue.. and it's alu-mag alloy/alu alloy depending which part of the motor it is, so again not soft at all.

speculating on rod strength, but the shape should mean they're quite strong for the weight.

the pistons are likely similar to N54, hypereutectic aluminium (specs list N52 as alu, N54 is confirmed to be hypereutectic aluminium)

i mean.. there's people with 3.2 stroker and S54 ITB swaps making 330-350whp ffs...

Last edited by flinchy; 04-22-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0