07-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #13
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I use Flickr as my host and tertiary backup. You get 1TB free and unlimited as a "Pro" member. I've got BBCode links and Embedded HTML going back to 2007 that are unbroken.

If you "deep link" someone else's image, then you're at their mercy to keep it up on the host. Digital Millennium Copyright Act does not allow you to copy the image and post it from your own computer or server. Even deep-linking is a controversial area, but my attorney won't accept a deep-linking infringement case on contingency. To avoid potential lawsuits, deep-link (some say hot-link) the images of others. If you can't do that, then don't do anything with the images of others.

So, just to refresh, linking to someone else's content is generally not considered copyright infringement. Copying content to your own computer, server or host and then uploading from there is infringement, which could subject you to Statutory Damages under DMCA. It doesn't matter if you credit the copyright owner.

People can still get around it, but Flickr allows Settings where others cannot download your images. We all know that is not iron clad protection;however, working around that shows that the infringer had Intent and could increase damages.