View Single Post
      08-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #41
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

As I continue following various threads as I contemplate a Bootmod3 purchase, the latest info I have been reading has given me cause for concern.

Apparently BMW is taking further steps to lock DME such that it can't be unlocked through the OBD2 port. Cars manufactured March 2019 or later are potentially more difficult for flash tuning with products like Bootmod3. There are now even recent reported cases of remote software upgrades happening to some M340i owners that have tightened the software lock on DME.

And what of older cars that come in for routine service, will they then receive a software update that kills their Bootmod3 functionality?

Maybe the DME tuner vendors will find a way to catch up their software, but this scenario is begining to resemble a cat and mouse game much like Apple vs iPhone jailbreakers. And the ability for BMW to remote software update newer vehicles probably gives them the leg up.

Will we now be relegated to piggyback tunes only?

Here is a table of vehicles that shipped with the newer software:
Attached Images